Whenever I get a chance to travel by trains, I prefer journey in sleeper, over all other options. Of course it is cheaper but it offers me something more than just saving of money.
The diversity of people I meet in a single journey of , say 24 hours , in sleeper class, extend far more than the people I get to know in like 1-2 months of my usual life, making me delve deeper into the humongous composition of Indian society.
Well if you are really there to judge the adversities, you will find things going so out of bounds of your acceptance.The crowd will take your breath away at first. The number of people having their tickets in waiting exceed much more than the number of seats even available. Then the cleanliness raped to its worst adds a cherry on the pudding. Then the small kids screaming out of their lungs, beggars and transgenders seeking money out of every pocket, walkways all blocked by people sitting throughout - all can worsen your life like those were 24hrs spent in hell. And not to forget the luggage occupying every possible left space in the bogies.
All will definitely make you feel like Sleeper is worst place to spend a time in,for a journey.
But there is a good side of things that I tend to enjoy and be happy about.
First is with seeing people in such squabble, living so perfectly with their lives. A whole family of 6 might be having just one seat under their name, but the happiness they possess makes me think that its not just the adaptive attitude of us, but the courage to deal with every possible situation in life, is what that make us Indians stronger. The fighting spirit is in our bloods but you simply need a moment to trigger it up.
Next is with the helping nature of people. I mean you'll see people sitting everywhere like 4-5 minimum on a seat, but none complaining about the other.Not just sitting quiet, people really move ahead to help others to their best. You'll find cool exceptions to this everywhere with arrogance of people in place, but I still appreciate the optimism and servility majority of them possess, especially the poor(I mean ones not with great lifestyle) - they are far more generous and helpful.
Next on place are the vendors moving now and then. You can see people from every possible age toning in their special voices, striding their ways ahead to earn a living. Nature's ferocity, be it chilling cold or scorching heat or flooding rain, doesn't seem to put them down. Nothing can be awe inspiring other than their hard work.
Then I also get to see the real problems crippling India at its bottom that I learn from the discussions of people around. I see problems like superstitious influence on ideas of people leading to terrible decisions, the inadvertent attitude of corruption setting from bottom, the strong patriarchal hold crushing women in societies, children been served with utmost negligence at health and education etc. They really get me to wonder -'How will India make ways of development out of this?'
Howsoever troublesome, journey in sleeper class brings back in me the feeling of humanity and patriotism. Its more practical and lively than sitting in an AC coach with your curtains closed and music on.I just wish greater minds of our country took step forth to improve lives of millions of us struggling hard for their livings.
Hope is all I have in the end!!
The diversity of people I meet in a single journey of , say 24 hours , in sleeper class, extend far more than the people I get to know in like 1-2 months of my usual life, making me delve deeper into the humongous composition of Indian society.
![]() |
| Sleeper class (:P) |
All will definitely make you feel like Sleeper is worst place to spend a time in,for a journey.
But there is a good side of things that I tend to enjoy and be happy about.
First is with seeing people in such squabble, living so perfectly with their lives. A whole family of 6 might be having just one seat under their name, but the happiness they possess makes me think that its not just the adaptive attitude of us, but the courage to deal with every possible situation in life, is what that make us Indians stronger. The fighting spirit is in our bloods but you simply need a moment to trigger it up.
Next is with the helping nature of people. I mean you'll see people sitting everywhere like 4-5 minimum on a seat, but none complaining about the other.Not just sitting quiet, people really move ahead to help others to their best. You'll find cool exceptions to this everywhere with arrogance of people in place, but I still appreciate the optimism and servility majority of them possess, especially the poor(I mean ones not with great lifestyle) - they are far more generous and helpful.
Next on place are the vendors moving now and then. You can see people from every possible age toning in their special voices, striding their ways ahead to earn a living. Nature's ferocity, be it chilling cold or scorching heat or flooding rain, doesn't seem to put them down. Nothing can be awe inspiring other than their hard work.
Then I also get to see the real problems crippling India at its bottom that I learn from the discussions of people around. I see problems like superstitious influence on ideas of people leading to terrible decisions, the inadvertent attitude of corruption setting from bottom, the strong patriarchal hold crushing women in societies, children been served with utmost negligence at health and education etc. They really get me to wonder -'How will India make ways of development out of this?'
Howsoever troublesome, journey in sleeper class brings back in me the feeling of humanity and patriotism. Its more practical and lively than sitting in an AC coach with your curtains closed and music on.I just wish greater minds of our country took step forth to improve lives of millions of us struggling hard for their livings.
Hope is all I have in the end!!

Very informative! Thanks for the post! Really such a nice and decent information shared here with awesome stuff… Now tourists can Get the Best Online Bus Ticket Reservation Services in all over India in one step with Ticketgoose. TicketGoose is not only providing the Online Ticket Booking Services, it is providing services like what are the places to visit in each and every state.
ReplyDelete